AAABattery's Blog

An Introduction to AA Batteries

AAA Battery Jenna from the album Year of the Woman with Spookey Ruben an homage to Jane's Addiction and Rush on Rescord. - AAA Battery Jenna Year of the Woman

The name "AA battery" can be pronounced "ay-ay battery" or "double ay battery". It's a cylindrical dry cell battery which is popular in portable devices since it is no longer than 50 millimetres (1.97 inches) and has a width of no more than14.2 mm (0.56 inches). It weighs 23 grams (0.81 ounces). Some portable devices will instead use AAA batteries being that they are even smaller, but AA batteries last a lot longer than AAA batteries while they have the same output.

The AA battery is cylinder shaped and is also sometimes casually known as "penlight battery". To put it simple; the nub cylinder end with the AA battery will be the positive part, as the flat opposite end may be the negative part.

The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) use four different formal names for commonly used AA batteries. The alkaline AA battery is named LR6, the carbon-zinc variant R6, the nickel-cadmium AA battery is known as KR157/51 and the lithium-FeS2 type is known as FR6. The International Electrotechnical Commission has existed since 1906 and over 130 countries are currently participating in the project of making international standards for electrotechnology.

The American National Standards Institute (ANSI) and the National Educational Debate Association (NEDA) use another system for labelling batteries. Based on their standards, the alkaline AA battery can be a 15A battery. The carbon-zinc variant is called 15D, the nickel-cadmium AA battery is recognized as 10015, the nickel metal hydride 1.2H2, as well as the lithium-FeS2 type 15LF.

The capacity of AA and AAA batteries depend upon which technology and compounds which have been used to create the battery. Alkaline AA batteries will typically have an electrical output of 1.5 volts, while the NiCd (nickel cadmium) and NiMH (nickel metal hydride) AA batteries use a voltage of 1.2 volts. Voltage is a way of measuring the capacity of your electric field to make an electric current in an electrical conductor, and that is in turn determined by the main difference of electrical potential between to areas of the battery.

The electrical control of a battery can also be expressed in mAoh (milliampere hours). The mAoh of a battery is good to know, since it will give you a tough estimation of how long the battery will last after being fully charged (either through the manufacturer or on your side). Ampere is a unit used to measure electric current, then one ampere hour indicates how much electric charge which will flow through either terminal with the AA battery when the battery provides a device with one ampere of current flow during exactly one hour. The mAoh of an AA battery varies from 2700 in the case of certain alkaline AA batteries to 650 which can be common in nickel cadmium AA batteries. You may get alkaline AA batteries using a lower mAoh, typically from 1800 to 2600. A carbon-zinc AA battery will typically feature 1100 mAoh, a nickel metal hydride AA battery 1400 to 2700 mAoh, along with a lithium iron sulphur AA battery 3000 mAoh. - AAA Battery Jenna Year of the Woman