BusinessInsuranceSacramento's Blog

How to of Be a Commercial Insurance Broker

Categories: Blog March 24, 2015 @ 1:00 PM 0 Comments      

Business Insurance in Sacramento CA

First, we need to make a distinction between an insurance "broker" and an insurance "agent." Inside the insurance business, an agent is in partnership with a number of insurance companies. A dedicated agent features a contract with a single company, normally an insurance coverage business that prefers exclusivity, and may only sell the insurance coverage products of that company. A completely independent agent may work with a large number of companies, including AIG, CHUBB, and also the Hartford, to name only a few.

An agent does not work for an insurance business but instead for a client out to obtain insurance. So if a new business owner wanted to purchase commercial insurance, a broker would not be restricted to only those insurance products sold by his or her partners as an agent could be, but could check with any commercial liability insurance provider. Brokers often work with non-standard, "excess and surplus" line insurance providers. These firms specialize in unusual coverage, often for emerging technologies, and usually do not enter into agreements with agents. For instance, if XYZ company created a new kind of communication equipment the location where the potential liability risks were unknown, XYZ normally would need to approach a broker in order to buy commercial insurance.

The best way to get started being a broker in the insurance clients are to get a job having an established broker. There are lots of classes you can undertake commercial liability insurance plus a great deal of research that you can do on the existing excess and surplus carriers, but having theoretical knowledge isn't enough to cause you to a successful broker. A well established broker can introduce you to the people in the insurance business. In the end, it is a surprisingly small world along with your future success depends upon the associations you are making. Additionally, an established broker can steer you after dark many pitfalls inherent to the industry, mistakes that may cost a client his business. It's always best to make these mistakes with someone experienced as your trusted companion to catch them and instruct you as to how to avoid them. And, moreover, you don't want to make these mistakes if you are the one paying for the errors and omissions policy, because when you go onto your own, the first thing you will have to do is get a own errors and omissions coverage. In the end, even people in the insurance coverage business need to have insurance. Any broker you're working for will probably ask you to sign a limited term non-competition contract, however, these usually only affect businesses within the same state.

An agent, like an agent, is licensed by the state, with the assumption the broker resides in the same state they actually do business in. Each state features its own requirements, which generally add a fee and a specified minimum amount of education. An insurance business license should be renewed regularly, and recurring education courses are usually necessary as part of the renewal requirements.

You might apply for a non-resident license, but remember that other states may have different licensure qualifications. Licensing information is found on most states' insurance department websites. Additionally, if you intend to work in a different state, it will be useful to have an agreement having an in-state brokerage firm for tax purposes. And if you move to a new state, you need to get a certificate of license status from your previous state where you were licensed in order to prove that you were a broker in good standing.