CBTclinic's Blog

The way to Identify and Treat Terminal Insomnia

Categories: Blog March 18, 2015 @ 11:45 AM 0 Comments      

CBT
Terminal insomnia, also known as late insomnia, can be a frustrating condition where you can usually fall asleep easily upon going to bed.... but you awaken four-to-five hours later, struggling to go back to sleep. So that you are getting up too soon each morning, which leaves you feeling exhausted, foggy and cranky when you reveal of bed to start your entire day. Regardless of the ominous sounding name, terminal insomnia is not going to kill you but could certainly be a joy-killer.

To get started on relief from terminal insomnia, it is critical to figure out how many hours of sleep you will need to get yourself a full night's rest. Unlike initial insomnia (being unable to fall asleep all night when you retire for the night) and middle insomnia (getting out of bed during the night and taking hours to fall returning to sleep) where all of the symptoms clearly point out the condition, many people who think they've terminal insomnia might instead just be "short sleepers."

Along with what does which means that? Well, some people only need 4 or 5 hours of sleep to function during the day. When you have for ages been able to feel awesome on less sleep than some of your friends and relatives, you might not be experiencing late insomnia symptoms, but merely bedtime too soon for your level of sleep that you'll require.

If that's the case, your tired, cranky feeling might be the consequence of lying awake too long, beating up on yourself as you can't fall back to sleep. Try going to bed later so you'll get up with a more sensible hour and will arise and commence your entire day immediately. And then be grateful that you have a few extra hours within your day-to do something besides sleep!

If, however, you've never been a short sleeper, and you also now end up increasingly exhausted after these short hours respite, you might rather be experiencing terminal insomnia. While you would for almost any different kind of insomnia, once you've determined you have terminal insomnia, it is time to learn why. You cannot fight a mysterious force, so knowing the causes of your condition comes before treatment.

Focus on Emotional Causes of Insomnia

To assist you find out the causes of your terminal or late insomnia, keep a sleep diary for about fourteen days. On this diary you may take note of your ideas and feelings when you awaken each day. This can help you to ascertain should there be emotional reasons that you're not able to go back to sleep. Since the emotional causes of your lack of ability to sleep might be a little hidden -- possibly subconscious -- it is important to analyze the situation completely. Don't skip this!

I've found that initial insomnia -- where you are not able to fall asleep when you initially go bed -- is usually associated with feelings of fear, stress, worry, and anxiety. Initial insomniacs might even experience sleep anxiety where they may be unable to sleep because they're so focused upon going to sleep. These emotional factors behind insomnia makes your system tense and restless, so that you can't relax physically or mentally enough to go to sleep.

People who have middle insomnia or terminal insomnia, though, tend more toward feelings of depression, anger, and frustration. These emotions usually do not result in the adrenaline rush in quite the same way as anxiety and worry. Additionally they have a tendency to get pushed more into the subconscious mind, where nobody is conscious of them much whatsoever. However they can gnaw away in the background of our own minds, and wake us up in the midst of the night.

Physical Causes

You may also determine possible physical factors behind your late insomnia with the help of your sleeping diary. In the event you wake up at usually the same time every day, there can be an actual reason or even a mix of several physical reasons why such things happen.

For instance, for those who have a thermostat set to improve the temperature as well specific time, this change might be waking you. Does you neighbor leave for work at that point and switch on the bright light that shines in your window? Will there be an increase in outdoor noise including more visitors or even a dog barking? Maybe your allergies are flaring up in those days. Some allergy suffers discover that the predawn hours would be the worst. By determining the cause or causes of your insomnia, after that you can determine ways to cure the outward symptoms.