Chinesepaintings's Blog

Introduction to Chinese Paintings

Chinese paintings

Chinese paintings, despite being as artistic as western paintings, use a unique character of their own. Usual Chinese painting rarely follows the principles of realistic portrayal or target the fundamental perception. This allows the painter the liberty of artistic perception, and allows him to adopt a way of expression that expresses his personal feeling in a better manner. Chinese painting has captivated the best types of various arts including poetry, seal engraving and calligraphy.

It is extremely habitual for Chinese to regard an excellent painting like a fine poem and the other way around. That's how the term 'poetry in painting and painting in poetry ' has evolved. It's not surprising to find out that, at one time, lord poets were great artists and calligraphers too. Besides helping us to appreciate the painter's emotions and thoughts, the writings about the paintings include an attractive value towards the paintings.

Based on their format, Chinese paintings might be classified in four categories: scrolls, screens, murals and albums plus fans. Moreover, they often times possess a superb background that enhances their visual effect.

When talking of techniques, Chinese paintings can mainly be classified among two categories: paintings that use freehand brushwork, and the ones completed minutely in a pragmatic style.

When classifying these based on the subject material, we can divide these paintings into landscapes, figures, flowers, buildings, animals, birds, fish and insects. The brush techniques which can be highlighted in these paintings incorporate the dotted method, line and texture and also the use of color.

It might be too hard to know and cost Chinese paintings without a comprehensive knowledge of the characteristic styles prevalent through the historically different periods.

For example, economic progress through the rule of Tang family from 618 to 907 AD led to paintings in a elegant style. Subsequently, during the rule with the Song family from 960 to 1279 AD, painters preferred painting within an abstract style, implying meanings rather than direct expressions. Painting skills developed significantly because time.

It had been throughout the rule with the Ming and Qing, lasting till 1911, that painters started using their art as a means of giving expression with their feelings and thoughts. The paintings of that era display a spirited boldness with little consideration for thoroughness. Paintings of the time reached artistic perfection, which talent remained alive for some time, leading to near stagnation.

Was developed area of the 20th century, many painters from Beijing, Guangzhou, Nanjing and Hangzhou started challenging the standard Chinese kind of painting and introduced novel art ideas from western countries, and established art schools to coach artists. Fortunately, their efforts bore fruit. Subsequently, many of these painters formed the backbone of Chinese Art of Painting. Some of them are active nonetheless.