Denton Dynamos

Who Are We?

The Denton Dynamos is a class of fifth graders on Long Island, in New York, USA.The students, along with their teacher, Lisa Parisi, love to connect with others.  Blogging is just one way we do that!

Blog Directory

Visitor Stats47449 views

Categories

Denton Dynamos

Class avatar: Denton Dynamos

Posted by: LisaParisi Tags: Categories: Blog February 12, 2014 @ 12:08 PM 0 Comments      

We just finished reading Home of the Brave by Katherine Applegate.  What an amazing story of courage and optimism among great tragedy.  For this blog, tell people what you learned.  Write a literary essay about the theme of courage and optimism.  Write about how Kek showed both.  Write about what Ganwar learned from Kek about courage and optimism.  Give clear examples from the book to support your ideas.  Tell what you learned from Kek.  Be sure to end your essay with an opinion about the book itself.

In your blog:

• Write about courage and optimism.
  • Include examples from the book to support your ideas.
  • Format your blog like an essay.
  • Include the title and author in your introduction.
  • Include your recommendation for the book.
  • Edit carefully for spelling, punctuation, capitalization, and grammar.

This blog is due on February 28th.  Your rough draft is due, in your blog doc, on February 24th.  

Posted by: LisaParisi Tags: Categories: Blog December 11, 2013 @ 6:34 PM 0 Comments      

2014 is almost upon us and a New Year gives us a great opportunity to reevaluate our goals.  In September, you created goals and blogged about them in your Hopes and Dreams blog.  Go back to that blog now.  What were your goals?  How have you been working to reach them?  Is this working for you? Have you reached your goal?  If you have, then it is time to set new goals.  If you haven’t, then it is time to rethink how you will achieve your goal.  Write a new Hopes and Dreams blog that will take you through the rest of this school year.  Think about these items:

1. What was your original goal?  Did you reach it?  Why or why not?

2. Do you have a new goal?  If so, how will you achieve this new goal?

3. Are you keeping your old goal?  What will you do differently to assure that you will reach this goal?

4. Write about at least two goals.

5.  Be sure to stay focused and organized.  Use exemplary voice and vocabulary.  Keep your introduction and conclusion interesting.

6. Edit, edit, edit.

This assignment is due on January 2, 2014.  Drafts are due by December 20th.  Be sure to have a draft written in your blog doc so you can get suggestions for improvement.  

Posted by: LisaParisi Tags: Categories: Blog December 6, 2013 @ 10:22 AM 0 Comments      

BOksW_NabEk

Watch this video about The Time You Have.  Then write a blog about your one day.  What will you do?  Make it worthwhile.  Make it mean something.  Make it important.  Why did you choose what you did?  Make your day so perfect that you inspire others.

Posted by: LisaParisi Tags: Categories: Blog December 1, 2013 @ 11:59 AM 0 Comments      

The winner of the comic contest will be announced soon.  This week the prompt is:

…and then the noise stopped…

You have 100 words to add to these 5 making 105 in total. Make sure you use your most creative descriptions. What kind of story can you make?  

Please visit other entries too so that we can support each other.

The link will close on Saturday 7th December.

Posted by: LisaParisi Tags: Categories: Blog November 24, 2013 @ 8:57 AM 0 Comments      

The challenge just came in!  This is a good one!  The instructions below come from the 100WC website.

This week we have a very special prompt. As you can see, it is a story told as a comic and you have to write the next chapter! The rules are in the bottom frame.

0011 Week#13

0021 Week#130031 Week#13

0041 Week#13

0051 Week#13