EchoesofthePastKingdom's Blog

Echoes of the Past The Kingdom of Despair

Categories: Blog September 14, 2013 @ 3:06 AM 0 Comments      

Echoes in history: The dominion of Despair will be the latest entry in an HOG adventure series whose name emphasizes its many subtle failures: simply because it seems like we`ve already been there a handful of times before in the past. At the beginning of the overall game, your unnamed character is randomly browsing a bookstore eventually, after being intrigued by a magic spell book that's said to be held within. Not a moment after you make it happen, a woman enters the bookstore, activates the spell book, becomes an evil witch, and transports you to her evil lair, where you`ll passively try to escape and return home.

All this sets the stage for the purpose actually is a typical hidden object adventure in every a feeling of the phrase, by incorporating nice ideas added too from time to time, but altogether too much frustration and monotony that you should even be interested in your character`s safe return home. The witch`s lair hosts a number of wicked creatures, although there`s never really any suspense or feeling of urgency your life is actually in any kind of danger: your character just sort of sees his situation like it`s a small annoyance, like he`s been transported for an evil witch`s lair often times before (I actually just had d`j` vu writing that last sentence - that`s how familiar the general story is always to me). You`ll even encounter the evil witch in the game every once in awhile, although she mostly just goes about her business and doesn`t really seem everything thinking about trying to stop your overall plan of escape. There are a few especially sick and twisted character designs, although the animations feel overly flat, and just the occasional creature or two decides to produce their mouths move as they speak, that was a little weird to put it mildly.

Typically, the hidden object scenes amongst people are generally hit or miss. They are definitely not the celebs of the show here, and play an infinitely more supporting role to the many puzzles and mini-games which cover your adventure. But when you are available across them, you may still expect you'll complete exactly the same scene twice on several occasions, with light interactive elements in each, like opening baskets or completing unfinished items. The greater unique ones come when you need to usea list of already-found objects to accomplish a hidden object scene of sorts, like adding silverware, missing fruit, plus a plaster ear with a creepy tea party scene with a quantity of especially haunting dead-eyed dolls. The dominion of Despair doesn`t count on these hidden object scenes to pack it the action with trivial content, but it`s nice to find out how the game actually attempts to carry out some different things with all the basic well-versed formula.

Among the most interesting components I`ve perfectly located at the Kingdom of Despair may be the game`s inclusion of your hub part of sorts, which you don`t see frequently in hidden object adventure games these days. Once you start your adventure within the evil witch`s lair, you`ll be confronted with a podium which contains five slots for the magic amulets you`ll be searching for, as well as a room with a shape-shifting staircase, that leads to 5 separate floating doors: one for each and every from the game`s different chapters. Each one of these five areas their very own unique theme, from medieval kingdoms to a artist`s vista with a snowy village, and the quantity of backtracking you`ll do between them is simply light enough to continually ensure it is look like you`re chipping away for the endgame and gaining some progress.

Nevertheless the biggest trouble with The Kingdom of Despair isn`t its familiar and uninteresting storyline. It isn`t the lackluster visuals, nor the subpar voice acting or hackneyed locations. No, the largest issue I'd is the fact that for this kind of puzzle-heavy game, a lot of the puzzles you`ll encounter along your adventure are merely beyond frustrating. Even though the variety between these many puzzles is certainly commendable (you`ll be doing regular anything from painting by numbers, to memorizing constellations in the sky, to replicating a connect-the-dots puzzle inside a mirrored order), the possible lack of instruction for many of these, and the singular and precise solutions for that rest make actually completing them your real test of one`s patience. Even when playing on the easiest difficulty, there`s no option to obtain a hint or perhaps a nudge in the right direction: it`s either you solve it yourself, or else you skip it and proceed, swallowing your pride. As a result, the extreme difficulty really upsets the flow with the overall game: once you're making it of each and every puzzle, you`ll hardly remember exactly what it was you're doing inside your adventure before you decide to started it.

It will also be noted how the Kingdom of Despair currently is affected with a game-breaking glitch, which if encountered, can keep you from completing the overall game entirely. The glitch involved occurs getting ready to the fifth and final chapter in your adventure, when players pick up a glass cutter from the wooden chest inside a snowy shed. From a few things i can gather after searching around on some forums online, for those who have this glass cutter item inside your inventory when you access a certain mini-game in the attic in Chapter 4 which involves another glass cutter item, the sport gets confused and deletes the initial glass cutter out of your inventory permanently. The glass cutter never gets replaced in the world, all locations on the map will show there aren't any current objectives, and any hints will just suggest you peer elsewhere, into infinity.

So although I had been struggling to finish the overall game myself thanks to this unfortunate and all-too frustrating game-breaking glitch, I still almost made it to the finish, and a section of me was glad which i didn`t have to go through another hour or so of aggravating puzzles, all to succeed in an ending which i didn`t even particularly worry about. In many ways, Echoes of the Past: The Kingdom of Despair can be a game that you`ve probably already played before: only that one just doesn`t do enough to offer you that warm feeling of nostalgia. The relatively short, glitchy main adventure has one way too many more hiccups than innovations, and not even a handful of magic amulets could save the sport from that