Bullying

Tags: September 25, 2013 @ 10:23 AM 9 Comments      

BULLYING

Meaning
''Bullying is the use of force or coercion to abuse, intimidate, or to aggressively impose a certain type of domination over others. The behavior is often repeated and habitual. The people that are bullying are called bullies. The people that are being bullied are called victims.Bullying is mostly done in the United States. 1 of 4 kids are bullied.'' - from Wikipedia

Cyber bully
''Cyber bullying is bullying done through technology. 52% of students have reported that they have been cyber bullied.'' - from Wikipedia

Suicide
A lot of kids and teens have attempted suicide because they were bullied. Some achieved some didn't. ''About 4400 kids attempt suicide because of bullying. 10 to 14 year old girls may be at even higher risk for suicide. A study in Britain found that at least half of suicides among young people are related to bullying.According to statistics reported by ABC News, nearly 30 percent of students are either bullies or victims of bullying, and 160,000 kids stay home from school every day because of fear of bullying.'' - from Bullying Statistics

Videos

The victim here has had enough of the bully and stood up for himself and has been a great risk-taker. He has been on the news a lot and has even met Justin Bieber! The bully's friends posted this video. There are videos of when the bully was interviewed.

These kids watched the video and talked about it. They gave really mature and serious answers. As you can see some of them were also bullied. So they respected the victim in the video.

Facts
1. ''Research shows that half of all children are bullied at some time during their school years. More than 10% are bullied regularly.'' -American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry
2. ''More parents are allowing their young children to undergo plastic surgery to combat bullying. For example, Samantha Shaw, a 1st grader, underwent surgery to get her ears pinned back to prevent her from being bullied.'' -Kane Kristin
3. ''The word “bully” was first used in 1530 and originally applied to both genders and meant “sweetheart.” It is from the Dutch boel, meaning “lover” or “brother.” Around the seventeenth century, the term began to mean “fine fellow,” “blusterer,” and then “harasser of the weak.''-Online Etymology Dictionary
4.''Over 30% of children who suffer a food allergy report having been bullied at school''. -American College of Allergy, Asthma, and Immunology
5.''Girls bully in groups more than boys do.'' -Hamilton, Jill. Ed. 2008
6. ''Every day, 160,000 students skip school because they are afraid they will be bullied.''-How to Stop Bullying

Extras

Rebecca Sedwick

In this link you can read all about her: Girl’s Suicide Points to Rise in Apps Used by Cyberbullies

A memorial for 12-year-old Rebecca Sedwick has sprouted at the abandoned cement plant in Lakeland, Fla., where she committed suicide.                                             

So please stop bullying. If you ever get bullied, tell an adult.

1. Mr Miller
    This is really an outstanding post, Sudenur. You clearly care about the problem, did thorough research, and constructed your post thoughtfully.

Here's a great opportunity to join a discussion about bullying: How Big a Problem Is Bullying or Cyberbullying in Your School or Community?
  2. William Chamberlain (Mr. Chamberlain's Class) William Chamberlain (Mr. Chamberlain's Class)
    Sudenur, I agree with Mr. Miller. You have done a very good job finding and writing factual information about bullying. I am curious, have you ever been bullied? Why did you choose this topic to write about?

Mr. C
    NoelTigers.com
    Comments4Kids.com

I featured this post on Comments4Kid today: http://comments4kids.blogspot.com/2013/09/comments4kids-blog-post-of-day-bullying.html
  3. Ryan Addlesberger (Guest)
    Sudenur, I love the video on the victim snapping on his bully. I think it’s good that you are publically against bullying at a young age. My whole class we’re very impressed by your blog.
  4. Sophia (8th grade student) (Guest)
    Outstanding job on your blog. you did a very nice job on writing it, and I loved that you put in the videos/extra charts. It really made your blog stand out. Very informative and well written! I also thinks it's awesome that you made a post about bullying, its important to get the word out there that bullying is downright wrong. Have you ever experienced bullying?
  5. Colton (Guest)
    Very good job, I really enjoyed the attention to detail and the facts. I really learned allot like ”Every day, 160,000 students skip school because they are afraid they will be bullied. This is a great article because I see these kind of things every day. did you know 1 in 4 teachers see nothing wrong with bullying and will only intervene 4 percent of the time. Where did you get all your information from? Good job.
  6. PRC (Guest)
    Excellent work its nice when children take up some action against bullying how ever small it makes a difference. good job
  7. Julia
    I agree with you stop bulling it is not funny for that person that are being bulling.
  8. Adora (Mrs. Druffel's Class)
    I belive that even not leaving some one out is helping some one who might feel bullied by being left out. In first threw third grade I was super shy and I had a hard time making friends so I felt sort of bullied clearly having no one to play with because I wondered around the play ground frowning fighting tears because they ignored me but now people pay a bit more attention to me I wouldn't be the same person with out the 4 friends I mat in 4th grade, dont ignore people because to them it might feel like bulling.
  9. Louise van Steveninck (Guest)
    Hi Sudenur,
    I'm a teacher at Shekou International School in China and Mr Miller put a link to your post on his COETAIL blog (that's a technology course that I'm also doing.)
    This is a really good post Sudenur, it must have taken you ages to do and your hard work really paid off. I love your mix of text and visuals, especially the video and the pie chart/graph.
    The statistics you include are quite shocking too.
    Isn't it sad that a word which meant 'sweetheart' now means something so destructive. Bullying can make people feel so hopeless, scared and excluded and it needs to be talked about, blogged about, out in the open. Well done for posting about it. The internet is often criticized because of cyber bullying - but well done to you for making your blog a positive force for good.
    I like your blog theme too and the apps you've used on it.

This class been archived. No new comments may be added by students.