Commenting, what in the world?

Categories: Blog January 6, 2013 @ 8:23 PM 20 Comments      

Hello,

Today I’ll be talking about commenting. Now, some people emailed me saying that I sent a reply to everyone except for them. Now I looked back, and there comment was something along the lines of: “cool”. HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO REPLY TO THAT?! If you post a comment saying “cool” I won’t reply. I would love to reply to you, start a conversation, but I can’t work with “cool”. Sometimes I get comments, not naming any names, like “ya i think ur so right”. I would reply if it was “Yes, I think you’re right.”. Besides, even posts that isn’t one word or horrible grammar, if you say “Nice post!” with great spelling punctuation, and grammar, I still can’t reply. Saying “thanks” is getting old.I’m sorry, I’m not hating anyone who will comment, “sweet”, you can say that, but I wont reply back.

Have a nice day! :D

-Max

1. Mr Webb and Room Five, New Zealand (Guest)
    Max
    I think that that’s a very valid point and I think that the best conversations that you can start from posts are ones that ask a question. I am a classroom teacher in New Zealand in the Southern Hempishpere and I always try and stress with the students from my room when they are commenting to avoid leaving one word comments, I think that leaving somethign positive is important and also asking a question. So I would say the positive thing is that you are encouraging others to think about their commenting, and the question is have you heard of New Zealand and do you know where it is.
    Mr Webb and Room Five, Melville Intermediate School, Hamilton, New Zealand. Melvilleroom8.blogspot.com
    • tootinyman (Max)
      Yes, “conversations” shouldn’t be one word.
  2. William Chamberlain (Guest)
    Cool! #seewhatIdidthere?

Mr. C
    NoelTigers.com
    Comments4Kids.com
    • tootinyman (Max)
      Breaking News!
      Max just facepalmed!
  3. Mrs. Lothian and 6GLE (Guest)
    Max,
    You make a terrific point – one that reiterates what I am trying teach my students. I am a grade 6 classroom teacher / Learning Coach in Lethbridge, Alberta and I am a broken record when it comes to reminding my students about blog etiquette. One word comments or “texting lingo” are not a formal way of communication with another person when responding critically to a blog post. Single word response leave little room for engaging conversations. I will share your post with my students as our “what do you think” starter to our day. Thank- you for taking the time to articulate your frustrations – hopefully other students will realize the importance of meaningful writing and conversing. Well Done!
  4. Mr. Jones (Guest)
    Max,
    Your post is brilliant! I teach 5th grade in Ohio, and my class spent a long time talking about how to make a good comment. You’re right when you say that you can’t start a conversation with a one word comment. You seem to really understand “the art of blogging.” What is your 2 favorite things about blogging?

Mr. Jones
    JW Reason Elementary
    Hilliard, Ohio
    • tootinyman (Max)
      Two favorite things? PFFT! Easy!
      ♦ 1: I can include the people that comment. EXAMPLE: What am I doing right now.
      ♦ 2: I can talk all over the world instead of getting up in a world meeting then embarrassing myself.
  5. Mr. Jones (Guest)
    Oops, one more thing Max. You should check out my classes’ blogs. My class is on Mrs. Ripp’s Blog Roll.
    • tootinyman (Max)
      Sure, I’ll check it out!
  6. Mr. Ferriter - Sixth Grade Teacher (Guest)
    So Max,

Here’s a conversation starter for you: How are YOU going to change the thinking of your peers on just what a good comment looks like?

Are you going to start leaving samples of good comments on THEIR entries? Are you going to start modeling what good conversations look like in class? In the hallways? On the bus? Are you going to whip up a set of samples of good comments — comments that really challenged your thinking — and then post them here on your blog?

What about a “Comment of the Week” feature where you spotlight one great comment — either that was left on one of your posts or that you find in the comment section of a friend’s post — and then explain why you thought it was so great?

Happy thinking!
    Mr. F — a sixth grade teacher in North Carolina
    • tootinyman (Max)
      Nice idea! I’ll start commenting more.
  7. Mrs. Diaz (Fifth Grade White) (Fifth Grade White) (Fifth Grade White) (Fifth Grade White) (Fifth Grade White) (Fifth Grade White) (Fifth Grade White) (Fifth Grade White) (Guest)
    Good job, Max! Thanks for reminding all of us about the importance of posting thoughtful comments that illicit a response instead of general “cheerleading” type comments. Each has value, but one will generate a meaningful conversation. The other will not!

Keep blogging!
    Mrs. Diaz
    FifthGradeWhite
    • tootinyman (Max)
      Think of commenting as a response blog TO another blog. Would post a blog saying, “cool”?
  8. William Chamberlain (Guest)
    Max, Mr. Ferriter has a great point. When you see a need, you should fill the need. There is a site just created that spotlights great comments: CommentsbyKids.com It allows us to add great student comments using a Google form. Maybe as you find great comments you can contribute to that site. (You could also have Mrs. Ripp promote it when you do, she is pretty famous on Twitter :)
  9. 2J Aiden W (ALS 6 BLOG)
    Yes, I agree with all of you.
  10. 2J Cameron R (ALS 6 BLOG)
    all of you have good points
  11. 2J Jacob B (ALS 6 BLOG)
    I agree.
  12. 2H Zach H (ALS 6 BLOG)
    i don’t recognize this idk?
  13. 3J Haley W (ALS 6 BLOG)
    You are right you should not have a conversation with one word.
  14. 3J Liam W (ALS 6 BLOG)
    good idea i’m willing to type more