ScubaDiving's Blog

Tips For Beginner Scuba Divers: How To Control Panic or Anxiety Attacks Underwater

Categories: Blog February 25, 2015 @ 9:10 AM 0 Comments      

Although under water anxiety attacks are common events in scuba, most beginner all scuba divers may not know how common these are until they start taking their training classes. So, instructors which keep their classes safe from harm usually advise their students with the frequency and how to handle them if they occur while they are under water. Dive Holidays

Divers who have had these experiences may describe the attacks as being a sudden panicky feeling once they realize that they are beneath the water and a good distance away from dry land. On many occasions, these fears tend to be unprovoked since there are no real threats surrounding them. Therefore, it is important for each diver to learn how to handle the panic attacks if or if it happens to them. Based on Dr. Richard D. Telford, author of Manage Yourself, one of the most important skills a person might have in life is manipulating the anxiety instead of letting it control the individual. If you take control of the anxiety, it is going to prevent the stressful situation from progressing in to a full-blown panic attack. Listed below are some invaluable tips that individuals can use to remain safe.

Confront the Anxiety Before The Dive

Beginner divers should start with controlling their fears before leaving home. This can be accomplished by asking numerous questions that relate to the individual's capabilities and needs. For instance, is the person physically and mentally prepared to make the dive? Or, is this really the individual's concept of having fun? If the person finds that they're having problems with responding appropriately about bat roosting practical questions, they need to not make the dive. Specifically, in instances where the person may feel the dive is beyond their physical capabilities.

Express Feelings to Divemaster

When the beginner diver decides to accept dive but they are still feeling just a little anxious, the individual should let the divemaster know what they are feeling. Because the divemaster's role is to keep your divers safe, they could pair these divers having a buddy so that they can assist. One of several buddy's primary functions is to help with carefully walking the person through the dive. As an illustration, the buddy may turn their dive off by checking the reliability and safety with the scuba diving equipment. Even though this strategy may appear to become insignificant, the purpose is always to help allay the fears of the people because these are normally a few of the actual thoughts that race through their mind.

Preventing Anxiety Underwater

The real test, however, begins when the individual is under the water as this is where the actual panic or anxiety attack normally happens. Therefore, the most effective ways the buddy can help keep the anxiety from exploding is to focus individuals mind on enjoying the diving experiences. Such as looking at all of the beautiful scenery that surrounds them if they're swimming around. Also, to help make the experience completely trouble-free, the buddy diver must not take the beginner in caves or other places that can provoke normal fears to take place. Instead, buddy divers may want to leave the cave experience prior to the diver becomes more comfortable within the water. In fact, future dives will always allow time for branching out to the deep. Scuba Holidays

While underwater anxiety attacks are common among many beginner scuba, there are ways to minimize the impact and keep the beginner protected from harm. One of the most anxiety disorders used is pairing the diver on top of a buddy so that they can walk the individual through these experiences.