Surreybjj's Blog

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: A Ground Fighter's Dream

Categories: Blog December 26, 2014 @ 9:45 AM 0 Comments      

Surrey bjj

A high level UFC fan then you've got already seen lots of Brazilian jiu-jitsu (BJJ) fighting. Men like Ronaldo Jacare Souza, Roger Gracie, and Robert Drysdale have used successfully BJJ to eliminate opponents. BJJ is now a tome combat sport that requires howling fans and plenty of beer and wings.

It teaches the "little guy" that he can take down stronger, larger opponents by bringing the battle to the floor, and applying skillful leverage, technique, joint locks, and chokeholds.

Background and Founding

BJJ evolved from Japanese roots during the early 1920s, and later on spread thought the northern hemisphere like wild-fire. Many mistakenly consider Royce Gracie since the founding father of modern BJJ because of his popularizing it was developed years of the UFC. Gracie proved the efficiency of Brazilian jiu-jitsu by defeating competitors from many martial arts backgrounds in bloody, no holds bar battles-where he took over as first UFC champion.

Nevertheless the true founder was a man named Mitsuyo Maeda-known by Brazilians as Conde Coma. Maeda studied under Jigoro Kano at his Kodokan fighting techinques school. Maeda became certainly one of Kano's best students. He later travelled the earth demonstrating the skill form in circus and arenas. Maeda's travels eventually brought him to Brazil; where he finally met Carlos Gracie-a troubled teen Maeda took under his wing, which helped start the Gracie BJJ lineage.

Take it to the Ground

Here is a brief breakdown of the trade mark maneuvers found in BJJ:

The Half Guard

The half guard is really a grappling move made in the 90s by Roberto Correa. The way it works is while lying along with your to the mat, you use your legs to manage your opponent's legs. The move later changed the combat sport's world-helping to reshape BJJ, Submission wrestling, and ufc.

Estima Lock

The Estima Lock can be a foot lock created by the Estima brothers was developed 2000s. It became very popular following the No Gi World Championship of 2011-where Victor Estima used his lock to defeat all his opponents. The actual way it works is brutally simple, yet painfully elegant. It works by holding your opponent's foot upon your stomach and mixing forward motion together with your hips-twisting poor people guy's foot in similar fashion for the dreaded toe hold.

The Berimbolo

The Berimbolo is one of the most widely used moves in BJJ. The lightweight fighters from the early 2000s helped popularize this move. Though it was made within the 1990s-named the "scrambly" position. The move involves spinning upside down, disrupting your opponent's balance-allowing one to either sweep your attacker, or take control of his / her back.

The En Riva Guard

The En el Riva Guard was developed by Ricardo En Riva in the 1980s. It is now always in modern BJJ, and it is taught in basic courses in schools around the world. It is a move you use while you're on the ground, wanting to moderate your opponent's legs. The move is simple and easy simple, yet devastatingly effective. You wrap, or hook one of your legs across the beyond your opponent's leg, which in turn throws them off-balance.

Philosophy

The above mentioned picture may paint this talent as something just for brutes. Not so fast. Just as in a great many other martial art forms there comes a deep philosophical understanding and appreciation for peace and tolerance after years of coaching inside a BJJ dojo. Sure, during competition, you will end up ready to defeat the opponent; however in regular everyday routine you will rarely, when, visit a need to use your talent.

Is generally to moments of real danger as well. If you aren't directly attacked, hence forcing a response, it is extremely unlikely an expert of BJJ will engage an untrained rough neck. The skilled practitioner of BJJ doesn't have ego boosting. He or she gets more than enough of that about the dojo mat.

This is actually the concept more and more people don't understand. They assume because you have a potentially lethal expertise that you will want to show it off, or use it any chance you obtain. Hardly! The skilled BJJ expert will only desire to use his talents to teach, compete, and his / her body and mind healthy.