Teach a creative writing project full of fun blogging activities. Download a complete unit plan by TechnoKids, free with Kidblog premium membership.
Kidblog is excited to partner with TechnoKids, a leading publisher of technology projects for teachers, to offer Kidblog members a complete blogging unit plan for free (a $40 value). This detailed unit plan is adaptable for elementary and middle school and includes:
- Teacher Guide
- Student Workbook
- Customizable Resources
- Assessment Tools
- Extension Activities
- Sample Files
- Parent Letters
Create an authentic writing experience. Through a series of language arts activities students learn how to share an insight, provide advice, and express an opinion as responsible digital citizens.
- Identify the topic, purpose, and audience for a blog
- Plan and organize writing ideas for a blog post
- Use first person narrative style in posts
- Express an insight, advice, or opinion in posts
- Write a post with a title, sections, tags, pictures
- Revise posts to improve content and layout
- Format posts effectively for easy reading
- Exchange ideas using commenting etiquette
- Be respectful of others and maintain privacy
- Set blog properties and upload a profile picture
Session 1: Introduction to Blogging
Explore blogosphere. Set up a blogger profile and select a blogging topic.
Session 2: Become a Blogger
Learn the basics of blogging. Write a post about topic and insert a picture.
Session 3: Comment on Blog Posts
Discuss commenting guidelines. Read posts and reply to blogger.
Session 4: Personal Connection Post
Learn to blog responsibly. Write a post based on personal experience.
Session 5: Advice Post
Write a post that offers helpful advice. Format the post so it is easy to scan.
Session 6: Opinion Post
Learn to express a viewpoint respectfully. Write a post that states an opinion.
Optional Blogging Lessons and Teaching Ideas
Cartoon Avatar: Update profile picture.
Digital Citizenship and You: Be a digital citizen.
Create QR Code: Connect to your blog.
Inspiration from Blog Titles: 50 blog titles.
Be Opinionated: 40 questions to spark an idea.